Gay relationships

Got a Reed-related question? Post it here for Discussion!

Gay relationships

Postby andy on 14 Jul 2012, 22:11

One of the aspects that gets often highlighted in Lou's carreer is his attention for "unconventional" sexual orientations and relations. Eventhough you could probably only find a very small number of songs that explicitally speak of this subject matter, they are often refered to as both crucial to Lou's own carreer and the atmosphere of sexual experimentation that dominated pop music in the early 70s.

There are recurring rumors about some well-known pop-stars who are said to have engaged in same-sex affaires - most notably Bowie & Jagger. I remember seeing a Stones documentary in which a Stones-manager even spoke of a sexual escapade between Jagger & Eric Clapton.

Yet, for all his 'singer of unconventional engagements'-fame, Lou never seems to be really mentioned among those who actually participated in this type of experimental behaviour. To the best of my knowledge, nobody ever mention Lou having engaged in sexual and/or romantic relations with the likes of Warhol or Bowie - the 2 most obvious suspects in his surroundings at the time.

So I was wondering: has anybody ever heard anything of Lou actually dating a man?

[I know, I know: Rachel]
Ohne Musik wäre das Leben ein Irrtum.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
andy
Rock And Roll Heart
Rock And Roll Heart

Favourite Lou Reed song: The blue mask

Re: Gay relationships

Postby floatintothemist on 15 Jul 2012, 20:21

Apparently he dated a 19-year old guy at Syracuse University and it was all very sweet and pure and unconsummated. He is rumoured to have made a play unsuccessfully for J Cale and Lester Bangs says he made a fool of himself spending months chasing after Bowie in London in 72 to no avail. I read of Lou himself saying that he never really enjoyed gay sex, possibly because he wasn't very good at getting any, and that it was just a habit. And there are also stories of him cruising NYC by night looking for one-night stands, picking up male hookers etc but I can't obviously vouch for their accuracy.
More recently, in late 90's- early 0's, there have been scurrilous rumours of a dalliance with Peter Falk aka Lieutenant Columbo. The gossip merchants point to the fact that no-one has actually seen Columbo's wife to insinuate that he is gay and point to the Raven cover to indicate a shared raincoat/flasher fetish. I myself give such allegations no credence whatsoever.
Apart from that, Rachel, but was he a he or a she?
floatintothemist
Adventurer
Adventurer

{ COUNTRY }: Ireland (ie)
Favourite Lou Reed song: the bells

Postby Loregios on 15 Jul 2012, 21:03

He had sex with Billy Name, as stated by Name and, if I don't remember wrong, by Lou himself.
Loregios
Average Guy
Average Guy

Postby floatintothemist on 16 Jul 2012, 15:34

Yes, Billy Name, forgot about Billy. I read a colourful account of their lovemaking online. It seems Lou had had his fun so to speak and was getting ready to go when Billy called him back because he hadn't 'got off yet' and asked Lou to sit on his face to which Lou somewaht begrudgingly agreed. He says their relationship was playful, loving and respectful but that Lou could turn it off while his feelings were more constant. Or words to that effect.
floatintothemist
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Bettina on 16 Jul 2012, 20:26

What about Rachel?
Bettina
Coney Island Baby
Coney Island Baby

Favourite Lou Reed song: *****

Postby floatintothemist on 23 Jul 2012, 23:26

Good question, Bettina. My understanding is that Rachel is/was a transsexual so if he became a she, I don't know whether you would classify that as a gay relationship. But I don't know much about Rachel, who she was before she changed sex or met Lou, what became of her after they split in whenever- 1977?- think I might have read somewhere that she is dead. But I don't know. It would be interesting to know and to hear whether she has anything to say about her time with Lou- closest thing to a soulmate that he would appear to have had from the biographical details I've read, until Laurie, of course.
Think Andy was asking more about gay relationships with more celebrity-type folk like Warhol/Bowie/Jagger. But,anyway, to the best of my knowledge, he's been strictly hetro since the Falk affair (if that even really happened).
floatintothemist
Adventurer
Adventurer

Return to Dime Store Mysteries